I've always been confused about variety of troops in SD, but today i tried to fix that at least for me.
So, what i did:
1) First of all, i stole Sean Mirrsen's splash screen and mod portrait from his awesome "Combat Spacecraft" mod. I didn't want to do that, but i'm just to dumb to work with textures, game will crash if i'll try to load it in mod folder without these, and those look like blank dummies just to make mod load in mod manager :> i'm sorry if that's wrong thing to do
2) added 5 types of troop units:
- scouts - weak, cheap and ugly. works for quick artefact retrieval and powering up own troops by killing these
- strike teams - kinda squishy, but powerfull and long range (2 cells). works for killing stuff, while those are behind defenders
- defenders - durable, but cant deal a tonn of damage. Good for any kind of defence
- armor piercers - has higher damage against hard targets
- boarders - has double boarding action offence rating
3) added those units to colonisation tech tree. Scouts are available without research, strikers are in military tech, defenders in planetary defence tech, armor piercers in armor tech, boarders in shipboard action tech.
feel free to use it in whatever way you want
PS board engine thinks i'm a spammer because of the 2 links :[