It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 pm
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Ship Design - Fuel Cells
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:48 pm 
Space Cadet

During my 5 hours of play, I do not understand Fuel Cells.

1) Recharge at Warp. If this is a positive value, we do not need Fuel Cells? I assumed all ships needed Fuel Cells because why else would Fuel cells exist? So I made a colony ship with no fuel cells and sure enough, it went on forever. I guess when I get to weapons they will play a role, but right now.., I do not get it.

2) Is there some formula for the Recharge Warp and the rest as far as how much power and fuel cells you need?

OfflineProfileSend private message
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:07 pm 
Special Agent

I don't have an answer for number 2, but fuel cells become very important when it comes to energy weapons. They burn through your energy reserves fast, so having lots of fuel cells lets them fire for longer periods of time. If you have no energy weapons on ships, you are fine with just keeping enough reactors on it to keep a positive warp value, but if you use energy weapons you'll quickly find that fuel cells act pretty much like ordnance storage does for missiles and ballistic weapons.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:53 pm 
Lt. Commander

Recharge at Warp is 3x what your normal power draw is. Power draw is the passive power required by all your modules. If Recharge at Warp is positive, your ship can Warp indefinitely unless its reactors are damaged to the point where Recharge at Warp is negative.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:06 pm 
Space Cadet

echo, that is great to know. I have not gotten to energy weapons yet. Will get there tonight, I hope.

Tarenty, I cannot speak for weapons, but Power Recharge is 2x normal power.

Thank you both

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:34 pm 
Lt. Commander

I always thought fuel cells were underestimated on the forums. Positive energy recharge is nice and all, but reactors explode. On some ships (or whole fleets, rather) I find I'm having better results at keeping ships up and running with loads of energy cells. They require less bulkheads, so ships are lighter, and don't explode as much as well.

Maybe thay's just me, but it's worth a try at least I think.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 pm 
Lt. Commander

Recharge at Warp is advertised as 3x the normal Power draw of all ship systems in the tutorials; it's possible this is incorrect information.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:35 pm 
Space Cadet

The module for storing power should be named "Capacitors" just like in Star Ruler.

IMO if we're going to have fuel cells at all, they should contain fuel, which is used by reactors to generate power and by engines to generate thrust. This would limit the range of ships and also mean that energy weapons would eventually run out of power. Realism can be annoying though.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]